World-leading know-how within Dry Molded Fiber
The PulPac Tech Center is the knowledge epicenter of Dry Molded Fiber. It consists of a diverse team of Dry Molded Fiber experts with uniqe skills within R&D, application development, tooling, machine and material development, generic research, licensing, etc.
We are here to help you on every step of your journey towards sustainable Dry Molded Fiber products!
Technology transfer, support and training
An in-depth technical transfer to build technology and machinery experience and confidence is always provided to licensees and partners. Both technology transfer, support and training can be performed either on-site or at the PulPac Tech Center.
PulPac has developed its tooling concept since the birth of Dry Molded Fiber and has gained world-leading know-how on how to design and optimize tools for superior performance, efficiency and reliability. Besides PulPac’s own internal tool design support a global technology transfer program to your local tool supplier is offered.
The raw material, fluff pulp, bleached or unbleached and pre-sized paper, can be treated to increase strength of an application and to add additional properties, such as water or grease resistance. All additives are fluorocarbon-free, compostable and recyclable, in amounts less than the limits for food grade and sustainability approval. As a licensee you have full access to our know-how in development of your application.
Material and barrier R&D
Sustainable barrier solutions are essential for reaching the full potential of fiber-based alternatives to single-use plastics. PulPac has full in-house chemistry and fiber testing capacity, advanced knowledge, R&D and IP for optimizing Dry Molded Fiber products within this field.
Generic PulPac R&D
Generic R&D is an ongoing activity at the PulPac Tech Center. New findings, updates and improvements of the technology are supplied continuously to keep licensees at the competitive frontline at all times.
Dry Molded Fiber pilot line, PL200, available at the PulPac Tech Center
The PL200 offers fully automatic high speed, multi-cavity pilot production with excellent mold replication of hard and durable high performance fiber products.
The pilot line has capacity for non-foodgrade, small scale production, high volume sampling, market test series and testing of materials, tooling, barriers and other sub-systems.
The aim is to fast-track clients’ commercial activities towards setting up their own production capacity, producing billions of sustainable Dry Molded Fiber products within a near future.
The PL200 is built as an open platform to quickly verify technical concepts and materials. It can easily be adapted to any kind of products or tests. The system setup is similar to a commercial Dry Molded Fiber production line;
- A pulp stand for standard pulp or paper rolls. All kinds of pulp and paper in rolls can be used.
- A mill-to-web unit, where the raw paper pulp is fed through a mill that breaks it up into fibers. At high speed, the separated fibers are then blown onto a moving wire, forming a uniform low density cellulose web.
- A spray system for coating, where the material for products with additional properties, such as water or grease, is coated in-line. Many Dry Molded Fiber products can be cellulose only or be made from pre-sized cardboard liners and need no additional barrier.
- A tissue station where paper tissue of any color, pattern or print can be added to give a certain graphical look or feel of the product.
- A 200 ton hydraulic press where the unique PulPac multi-cavity tool compacts the fiber web into a mold.
- A recycling unit where offcuts and excess web can be fed back into the system to minimize manufacturing waste.